Monday, June 7, 2010

Illustration Friday - Trail

Trail of Destruction
7 x 13 inches
watercolor

OK, so obviously skyscapes have been on my brain lately and I wanted to do something this week that would leave me with a potentially framable finished piece.  I started thinking of all the possible types of trails I could come up with, trail of tears, trail of dust, hiking trails, happy trails..... When trail of destruction hit me, tornadoes were the first thing I thought of.  I found a really great website called Mother Nature Network that has a top 10 tornado video list.  My personal favorite was #9 (Most Beautiful Tornado Ever)  Even though this painting is not particularly inspired by that video, I may ultimately have to do another painting.  It took my breath away.

7 comments:

  1. This watercolor is so effectful, even though there are few colors, and a relatively simple landscape, it speaks volumes! This picture really says more than a thousand words! Especially for the people living in the Mid-West, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the composition of this and the great light and dark contrasts. Beautiful colors too, those blues in the sky give one hope that the storm will pass. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that sky! The way the earth is kicked up, it really looks like it's in motion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ms. Art Lady. I'm "Artl8dy". Not only do we share similar names, our dogs look alike, too.
    Glad I found your blog. Nice work!

    ArtL8dy at e14studio

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on the textures here...we just had a bunch of em run through our area...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The strong contrast is very effective and dramatic!

    ReplyDelete

I am a comment junkie. Let me know what you think.