Monday, February 15, 2010

Winter Wonderland - Friday Morning at the Taylor Farm

 


Click on any picture to enlarge
A rare event occurred in East Texas this week.  A foot of snow fell in Dallas and a more moderate but still impressive 5-6 inches fell on the little plot of ground that we call home.  Most of the snow fell on Thursday night and continued into the early hours of Friday morning.   I know that this is not exciting news to most of the rest of the country, especially with the record snowfalls the nation has been experiencing, but it is something that we almost never see here and it causes quite a stir.  The schools shut down and kids rediscover a fascination of the world around them.  Even the adults become more light-hearted and find it easy to set work aside to marvel at the change of scenery.   Artistic types like myself start waxing poetic and try to capture the moment in memory, image, and words.   Above are just a few of the pictures I took Friday morning, as soon as there was enough light to shoot in.  The last is a picture of my 14 year old son Todd with his first ever snowman.  Sadly he was knocked down and half melted by the end of the day. (the snowman...not Todd).  

The only unfortunate side of the whole event was that we lost power sometime in the middle of the night on Thursday which didn't get restored until Sunday morning.  We spent a couple of nights sleeping next to the fireplace, but I finally broke down on Saturday and got us a hotel room.  Ahhh Adventure!

2 comments:

  1. Sally, your pics are lovely. I really can't believe all the snow you guys got. I especially love the pics of the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This scenery is gorgeous! We never get snow here, so I was settling for the white blossoms on the flowering pear trees blooming around town to create an imaginary winter wonderland. You are lucky to have such a rare treat this year! Fresh inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

I am a comment junkie. Let me know what you think.