Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Illustration Friday - Frozen

Frozen Embryo
2.5 x 3.5 inches ATC
watercolor and colored pencil

I had nearly given up on participating in Illustration Friday this week.  I was feeling utterly uninspired and I didn't want to submit something that seemed  like simply another version of what a lot of other people had already done better.  But.... as luck would have it, inspiration hit me just as I was going to bed last night.  Frozen embryos are typically found in the form of an 8 celled blastosphere, similar to what's in the upper right hand corner, but I wondered what the little guy might look like if he were just a little more developed.  If frozen embryos all looked like this I wonder if science would handle them any differently?

I'm not making any political statements, nor taking a stance on one platform or another.  It's just an interesting thing to think about.  What does it mean to be human?  If you are frozen, and in an early developmental stage, have you become human yet, or are you still waiting?

5 comments:

  1. I love the circle of cells behind the fetus! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating dialogue and GREAT interpretation of the theme. I always enjoy when people put more thought into the topic.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks a little frightening to me. but a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

I am a comment junkie. Let me know what you think.